From the expert that brought you Mastering Windows NT Workstation, Mark Minasi’s Mastering Windows 2000 Professional, 2nd Edition gives you all the conceptual and practical information you need to get the most out of Microsoft’s latest operating system. This is the premier resource for anyone installing, configuring, and running Windows 2000, whether as part of a corporate network or for home or small business use. You can depend on it for clear, authoritative instruction in hundreds of techniques that will make you and your workstation more productive. The perfect companion to Minasi’s Mastering Windows 2000 Server!
This edition includes new coverage of Active Directory, Internet Connection Sharing, secure telecommuting and how to connect to the Internet using DSL, cable modem and ISDN. Brand new coverage of advanced scripting can turn you into a power-user, and entire chapters dedicated to troubleshooting are sure to save you hours of frustration. If you call Microsoft with a Windows 2000 question, they may charge you $200. Use this book instead and save yourself some serious money!
* Understanding features new to Windows 2000 Professional
* Installing Windows 2000 Professional
* Configuring for network or stand-alone use
* Active Directory Essentials
* Setting up peer-to-peer networking
* Setting up user profiles
* Setting up a security strategy-including special issues for telecommuting
* Customizing the desktop and other features
* Using the Management Console
* Connecting to the Internet-via LAN, cable modem, DSL, and ISDN
* Automating functions using the Windows Scripting Host and VB
* Installing and running applications
* Using the file system
* Setting up printers
* Using Windows 2000’s native accessories
* Understanding network and Windows 2000 Professional architecture
* Connecting to Novell NetWare networks
* Setting up remote access
* Using Windows 2000 Professional administrative and diagnostic tools
* Configuring Windows 2000 Professional for sending and receiving email
Real Solutions to Real Desktop Support Challenges
If making a smooth transition to the latest version of Windows is important to you and your company, this book delivers the goods. It introduces you to the Windows 2000 architecture and all the new features, reveals configuration and optimization secrets to keep your workstations humming along, and teaches troubleshooting techniques that will get you out of hot water. There’s no end to what you’ll accomplish with these practical, step-by-step instructions from the world’s most accomplished Windows NT/2000 expert!